Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Makeover

It was time.  After ten years of personal styling, divorce, moving house, illness and life in general - it was time for a new beginning, my very own personal new beginning.

Colette, Helen, Peta-Gai
I connected with the guru of transition, Colette Werden who quickly cut to the chase of what the make over was really all about.  I allowed myself to be coachable and Colette did her best work.  Phase I had begun.

She sorted through my chosen outfits for the photo shoot and then started pieces together things I would never have connected.  She did what I do for my clients, I just could not do that for myself.  Yeah, I was nervous.  Put yourself in my shoes.  Reckon you might be too.  With the greatest of respect she enquired into the possibility of my daughter's wardrobe ......... and in we went to borrow a leather jacket from materialbyproduct a $20 skirt and a pair of red heels.  Well .......  I never ...... thought I would do that!  But it worked and my lovely 22 year old daughter was delighted and quite flattered to be honest!

On the day of the photo shoot, I started with Bianca at Capelli Armadale for hair that the camera would be happy with.  That means no sticky uppy bits!  She knew the drill.  Bianca has done all of this before.  Bruce had cut and coloured the week before.  Yes there is a pattern shaved into the back of my head.

Peta-Gai weaved magic with her beautiful make up from Iridis under instruction from Colette about exactly which red the camera and my skin tone would be happy with.

In the background I was conscious of a thick and fast conversation going on between Colette and the magician I like to own as my photographer, Joel Rainford.  Every little detail ...... covered.  Intense conversation leaving me feeling pretty smart for the dream team I had selected.  No stone was left unturned.  Joel was determined that she knew how to capture the desired look.  Colette was not leaving anything to chance.  Professional to the finest detail.  The brief was to capture my personality, professional, trustworthy, fun, a tad rebellious, engaging and have you feel like you need to pick up the phone and hire me!

I've spent the new year holiday period giving away, donating or ebaying the clothing in my wardrobe that no longer serves me.  It belonged to my friend Helen who has now moved forward.  The look is clean, sleek and modern.  I'm owning my curves and sense of sassy!  Time to celebrate my shape. Now I'm not suggesting that the gypsy or the hippie in me has gone forever ...... I'm just more select about when she comes out!

 My dream team are worth their weight in gold and I highly recommend them.  This transition to a new brand has been an inside out progression.  It is strategic and fits with a new, challenging and exciting 2014.  Looking forward to sharing Phase II with you soon.


7 comments:

  1. Wow Helen - the results are great! Congrats on your gutsy-ness (you've always had it!). Wish I could get to South Yarra for your event, but alas, no. Will stay tuned for the next one! All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned Sandi. There's one coming in Templestowe soon. x

      Delete
  2. Great looks on you Helen - congrats on being open to the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Heidi! the Hippie in me is struggling ...... as she will at times!

      Delete
  3. Hello Helen,
    I believe change is necessary for all. It is exciting, scary and can steer a person into a brand new direction that wasn’t foreseen. You have succeeded with your transformation Phase I with fantastic flair and grace. I am hoping to do the same this year.
    Like you, I too have just emerged from the depths of divorce, illness, and way too many other maladies to admit. As well as the impending fact that I must move house in the near future.
    My first phase of renewal was to join EWA. My next one is to learn to be more assertive and less shy about meeting new people. I do not have too many women in my portfolio of contacts. That is something I dearly want to change. . I’m completely lost as to how to approach women. My client base has been 85% men for 20+ years. Having two older brothers and being a tomboy for most of my life made dealing with men so very easy. Talking to women is a completely new closet full of wonderful challenges. I feel like I'm fresh out of high school. It's too bad there aren't any mentoring programs for women hitting 50. I'm doing my best solo.
    All the best to you and your new found reflection.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. way to go Susan. one day at a time is how you do it. EWA and Network Central have great mentoring programs. Such an interesting point you raise about connecting with women. So many women can't connect well with men! So bravo - you have that one in the bag! Keep moving forward Susan. I'm inspired by your courage.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Helen,
      One day at a time, indeed. Last year it was more like one WEEK at a time. I don't believe I was very productive last year at all. I'd like to hear more about any mentoring programs for older women. I'll have to make looking into it a priority . BTW: I'm sooo loving the hair style. I thought I was the only one with and undercut and etchings in it. I just had mine done yesterday. So fun! Who says these styles are for the teens! My girls love it too.

      Delete