Friday, August 31, 2012

A bad experience is easy to find .....


This week I took a day out of my business to attend a seminar.  You know, time to work ‘on’ the business instead of ‘in’ it.  I had seen this seminar presenter deliver a 2 hour session a few years ago and thought ‘Hmm, there would be some value in attending a day’.  So, over a month ago, I coughed up my $97 and registered for the seminar.  I was keen.  Quite convinced there would be some good content over a whole day.

The day arrives.  8.30 am registration.  9.00 am start. After completing an odd registration form where we signed our lives away over not recording the event, wearing a name badge at all times, not making any legal claim on the presenter and agreeing to not stand on our heads during the session, we were kept waiting in the corridor until the doors opened…. at 9.40 am.

No apology for the late start.  We were corralled like herd of sheep and jammed into rows of chairs so close together that I was relieved to have dropped a few kilos in the past couple of months.

'Yes Yes!!!'
What happened next was the most pathetic display of NLP technique I have seen to date. Again, like sheep, we were instructed to turn to the person next to us tell them how ‘hot’ they look today.  Then there was the chanting of the ‘yes yes’.

Every cell in my body was screaming for me to get out of there.  But, I convinced myself that it would improve. I would surely get my $97 worth.  Could I hang out until the tea break?

Well, I tried.  But the pain became too great.  11.15 am and not once piece of content had been delivered.

As I left the room and filled my lungs with fresh air the relief was instant.  Not one of the crew checked to see why I was leaving.  Either they didn’t care for the feedback or had not been briefed on that scenario.

I was left wondering if I was the only one feeling this way?  Or, perhaps I was the only one with the courage to take a stand and leave? 

What happens that allows others to pin us down; to steal our precious time? To undervalue us and our commitment to hearing good speakers share information filled with insight and inspiration?  How is it that we feel so unable to stand up for ourselves and move from a situation that just doesn’t fit? 

 Interestingly, even bad experience present benefits. What did I get in the end?  Apart from learning what ‘not to do’ at a seminar event, it gave me the opportunity to reflect on where I am.  I found these fabulous insights:

1.     My daughter turns 21 this year. I’m proud to have modeled for her the strength to move away from what is not serving her.
2.     I confirmed for myself that authentic presenters, those who speak from the heart, genuinely connect with their audiences.
3.     I can make that $97 back but I can never regain the time investment.  Once time has gone, you don’t get it back.  Glad I took off before lunch.

Giving value to my clients has always been important to me. That lacklustre seminar confirmed this:  Value comes to life in the recipient’s experience.

So, here are two questions for you:

How do you show your clients that you value the time they invest with you?

How do you use your time with them to give your clients a valuable experience?

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Helen. What a gripping post! Your vivid description made me feel like I was there. I wouldn't have lasted long. Such an event would've burnt my brain to a cinder. Good on you for going, good on you for buggering off, and good on you for taking something out of this sorry affair. Re your second question, I put far more time into my clients' affairs than I ever bill them for. Just this morning, I was lying awake at 5 am, thinking through the long-term strategic branding implications of using the first person instead of the third person in a blog post. With best regards and hats off to you for a ripper piece. P. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gidday Paul, thanks for dropping in. My bet is that you would not have made it past the registration desk at this event ..... I'm hoping you're going to blog about the long term strategic branding implications? I need to know more about that! cheers H

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to something similar a couple of years back - luckily it was free but like you say its the time you never get back, but it did teach me to be a little more discerning what I show up for now. I've just been in San Fran at some awesome training - its the US so you expect some hype but the content was golden so a bit of pitch and hype was cool - they stand the pitching much more over here than we Ozzie's do. But it was very funny, we were at dinner at Fisherman"s Wharf after the event and my friend asked another diner what the time was, and as American's do he said "I believe its 8.15" and I couldn't help myself I had to throw my arms in the air and shout "I BELIEVE"!! It cracked the table up but it shows how that programming "gets in" as Mrs Marsh would say :-) Trust you went somewhere fashionable for lunch or rewarded yourself in some way for giving it the flick. Mz M xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh rock on Mrs Marsh! And you are so right Marg, Aussie audiences are not tolerant of hype at all. I did meet a fab gal pal for coffee, one of Melbourne's leading make up professionals and added two new eyeshadow colours to my collection for Spring! So, lesson learned and all is well in my world. x

    ReplyDelete